Monday, July 9, 2012

Speedpaint - Take1!

Hey everyone! I'm happy to say that I'm settling into my new role and the beginning of my Professional Internship here in Walt Disney World! I'm determined to do much more gesture drawing, animation, storyboarding, and painting than ever before while I'm away from school for the next semester. I;m happy to say that I've been spending more time in the Parks sketching than riding rides! :D

I was recently inspired by the lovely Heather Dixon to do some speedpainting. Basically, take a picture, repaint it in 30 minutes without using a color picker. However, being as this was my first speedpaint, I decided to flub the rules and do some color-picking. But hey, first go at this. Gimme a chance.

I decided to speedpaint this awesome piece of concept art from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" sequence from the Fantasia films. This has always been one of my favorite pieces of concept art, with its moody warm and cool color palette and great lighting.


So... I was so excited at the prospect of working in color that I ignored the prospect of... layout and composition. Again. First time :P Improvement happens... eventually. Anywho, it was a whole mess of fun to do, but now my wrist is screaming out in agony and pleading for a soak in a hot tub.

Photoshop. One brush. Whut now.

Fantasia and Mickey Mouse belong to Disney

6 comments:

  1. looks awesome to me!! I couldn't do that. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it JOy!!! I know you are going to be famous!! Can you make a movie of us someday?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS LOOKS FANTASTIC!!
    your composition is barely off. wouldn't really have noticed if you hadn't said anything!
    beautiful (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really are a terrific artist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, this is good stuff, Joy! Which brush did you use?

    Also, you're awesome. Did you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! :D
    And Emily, I used a brush from a set that I downloaded. It's more or less a hard brush with shape dynamics, smoothing, and airbrush mode on. It also works a whole lot better with a tablet and pressure sensitivity :) It's a fun sketch brush!

    ReplyDelete