Friday, December 3, 2010

Movie Reviews: Harry Potter & Tangled

What, you think an uber-nerd like me would miss out on the midnight premiere of Disney's 50th animated film, let alone "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1?" Absolutely not. Needless to say, I had been anticipating both movies for a few years now, and I was not disappointed!

First off: Harry Potter. Absolutely mind-blowing. I couldn't believe how accurate the whole movie was, right down to the dialogue. Of course, they had to flub some things and leave parts out, but they could all be easily added/explained in the second half, and it wasn't like they missed anything terribly important. But, wow... the whole movie was so intense! I had a deathgrip on my wand (yes, I have one) the whole time! Final critique: GO SEE IT.

Tangled: Holy cow, the animation was PHENOMENAL. It's a perfect blending of traditional and CGI. It has all the magic and look of traditionally animated films, but also has the wonderful details that CGI can capture. And the lantern sequence in 3-D? I've never felt so immersed in an animated film! The characters wree wonderful and endearing, and I loved how Pascal and Maximus didn't need to talk to be hysterical. The music has taken a while to grow on me, but it still has the feel of a good, classic Disney film. I am, however, deeply disappointed in Disney for discontinuing princesses and fairytales because those make the best stories out of all their movies. Maybe "Tangled" will make them think twice... Final critique: Flynn Rider is a gorgeous hunk and - er, I mean, GO SEE IT.
Now... onto the artwork!

Harry... being angsty. As usual. With rain, because rain makes everything angsty. Ballpoint pen.
I went to Magic Kingdom on my day off to do some gesture work. So, I plopped myself in front of Rapunzel and Flynn's meet-n-greet and just drew and drew and drew and... well, you get the idea. Ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment