Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Musicals and Markers



This image popped into my mind while listening to this.

If the picture's not that obvious, it's Quasimodo from Victor Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris, with a bit of James C. Christensen flair. I was thinking more of the original version when drawing this, not the Disney version, though I still adore that movie. I really wasn't thinking too much when drawing it, but in the end the gargoyle and Quasimodo came out looking very similar to each other, but I'll let you figure out why! One thing I will say about it though is that in the lower left-hand corner, the Latin word for "Fate" is carved into the stone. Supposedly, Victor Hugo was inspired to write Notre Dame de Paris when he saw the same word inscribed on a stone in the cathedral.

Done with a combination of pencil and Faber-Castel, Prisma, and Copic markers on parchment paper. The paper didn't take the ink as well as it had done before with previous drawings, but it all worked out in the end, I think.

Reference for the gargoyle came from here.

Quasimodo belongs to Victor Hugo, Notre Dame belongs to Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment