Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Flyers - Week 10... And Drawing Exercises!

First off, I need to preface this flyer. For one, it was inevitable that a superhero would make it into this series. And two, I found this cool drawing suggestion: Take a drawing of yours from years ago, and redraw it! This super gal was the first character I made up when I decided that I wanted to do art for the rest of my life. I made up crazy long stories about her and her superheroine friends, fighting monsters and villains, meanwhile still going to high school. Heck, I even dressed up as her for Halloween one year! I was a lot of fun and nostalgic revisiting this first creation of mine :)


Here's the redraw exercise I did before I drew the Flyer version. It was a pretty awesome way of seeing how much I've improved (11 years will do that), but also how much the "essence" of my drawing has stayed the same. However, I'm also starting to see habits that I've kept for the past 11 years, and now I'm working on changing them!
Here's another exercise: Redraw a screenshot from a movie. It was also inevitable that I would draw something from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2." May I just say that this scene was AWESOME. Yeah, yeah, different location, but DANGIT Alan Rickman rocked. And Daniel Radcliffe had some really great, subtle expressions that I want to try to draw sometime. I love doing expressions, but it's really hard to get a look of "mixed" emotion. Overall, the characters' interactions and reactions were super close to how I envisioned them in the book, and delicately played. Thumbs up, guys.

Enough ranting... I just really like the way this sketch turned out! And for some reason, I felt super comfortable with drawing in three-dimensions with this sketch... perhaps I should do screenshot studies more often!


Copic markers, Staedtler pens, Crayola color pencils, ballpoint pen, and pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment